Saturday, April 30, 2011

Why I chose to follow Jesus...my personal testimony

I remember way back in 1979, going to a crusade for two days.  It took just two days to change my life forever.  I had attended church on and off and felt I had a good relationship with Jesus.  After all, I asked Him for everything I needed and I was very aware that I was His precious child.  He provided for me and I was confident and assured in His love for me. Yet I had no greater desire to know Him.

While sitting under this tent crusade the preacher began to talk about Jesus.  He painted a vivid picture of Jesus-his life, his death, his resurrection.  But my mind somehow dwelt on His death.  What a supreme sacrifice.  It hit me then-I just could not get away from the thought that He had died for me! Wow-I thought of guys-they profess to love you-sure.  But somehow I did not think that they would be willing to die for me. That seemed kind of extreme!

I glanced around the tent-it was crowded.  So many faces.  Some were taking a candle and walking up the long path to the front, giving their lives to Jesus.  The Holy Spirit was impressing me strongly that I needed to respond to Jesus. He was calling me!

I looked to see where my friends were, and my sisters and my mother.  Surely, I did not have this in mind when I came to the tent.  In fact, I had walked around outside for a while looking at cute guys and laughing my head off-just silly things young girls do.  I was full of fun and laughter.  I had a loving family and life was good.  I was at the age when I was ready to explore the world some more.  I had been so sheltered life seemed to beckon to me to come and explore, and enjoy new things, strange things. So what was this now? I wasn't ready for this, or was I?

Conviction settled in my mind.  For the first time in my life I did not care what anyone thought or who followed me.  I touched the usher in the aisle and indicated that I wanted a candle.  I was ready.  Excitement filled me as I started the long walk to the front.  Jesus had called me.  It did not matter then where He was leading.  All that mattered then was that He had called me, and all that mattered was that I had answered His call.

 Shortly after I sat down up front with happiness flooding my heart I looked around me-my mother, my sisters, my best friend, her sister-they had all answered the call!  My heart was full.  It was as if it would burst with happiness.  I had done the right thing and already Jesus was showing me that everything  was going to be alright.

Thirty-two years have passed since that time so long ago.  I have made many mistakes on my Christian journey.  I have had joys and sorrows.  I have lived a full life.  But my heart is in the right place.  There is nothing, nothing that can take the place of Jesus.  No thing, no one can love me the way He does.  And trust me, I know I am loved!  But there is a place in my heart, in your heart, that only Jesus can fill.  That's the secret of who I am, and all I am.  Jesus!  I choose Him again and again!  He puts a smile on my face, and a song in my heart. Here world-the best gift ever...why don't you answer His call today?

I give you Jesus!

Burdens are lifted at Calvary



Leila Rose-Gordon
4-30-11








5 comments:

  1. Amazing testimony thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing testimony. It's fantastic that Jesus has been in your life for 32 years now and your love for him only grows stronger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! Let me share some applicable bible texts...

      Jeremiah 31:3 KJV states: The Lord hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with loving kindness have I drawn thee.

      Philippians 1:6 states: Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ...

      John 4:14 states: But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.

      Delete
    2. Oh, I just checked your site-http://www.christian-charity-world.com/
      Very nice!

      Leila Rose-Gordon
      1-13-12

      Delete