Saturday, August 25, 2012

GOD'S REST STOPS

God’s Rest Stops 

Recently I have been learning to take advantage of God’s rest stops. Life can get very busy. Sometimes twenty four hours just seem to be inadequate to get through all the obligations we have to meet on a daily basis. There is so much to be done, so much to accomplish. It can become so hectic that your nerves begin to scream for release. Outwardly you might be able to maintain your composure but inwardly you begin to feel as if you are losing your grip.

It doesn’t make sense to complain either. In fact then you are perceived as a “whiner” and who wants to deal with whiners anyway? 

So how do you get a grip? How can you see life as you once saw it, in positive terms, full of hope and eagerly looking towards the future? 

Friend, you must check out God’s rest stops. Do not take these for granted. Do not wave them aside when they come. They will come. Life is designed that way so that you remain sane-really! So the next time you get an invitation to go to a picnic, or a get together, or play a game, or some other form of meaningful entertainment, do not look for an excuse. 

Remember the work will always be there. That is why it is called work. You have to come to the point where you value leisure, where you place it in your busy schedule. You would be amazed how it relaxes the mind and repairs frazzled nerves. 

When last did you go to a beach, and just let your toes curl over the pebbles in the sand, and let the water lap across your feet?

I did that recently, and I am going to repeat the experience very soon. It was so invigorating, so relaxing, calming, soothing, and healing! I felt at one with nature, God’s world. I saw the peaceful look on the faces of loved ones. It was as if the tide was washing away the stress, the weariness, the anxiety from all of us. And I vowed within myself that these times in my life would become more frequent. 

I came away from the experience rejuvenated, ready to take on the challenges of the morrow. When the problems came, I had wonderful memories to reflect on. I felt confident, calm, assured, and able to cope. My thoughts were clear and my actions more decisive. 

I found myself reflecting on the past. The shocking realization came to me of the numerous occasions I had ignored God’s rest stops, pleading weariness, or preoccupation with some task that seemed urgent at that moment, too urgent to leave alone for a minute. 

I realized then that God had designed our lives to have rest stops along the way, so that we could be renewed and refreshed to meet and overcome life’s challenges with greater ease. 

I am thankful that this realization has come to me sooner, than later. I will definitely be on the lookout for those rest stops. I invite you to do the same. The next time you receive an invitation to take a break, do not look for an excuse. Drop what you are doing and check out God’s rest stop. You will be so glad you did!

GOD'S REST STOPS

Leila Rose-Gordon 
August 25, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment